ESSAY ASSAY, INC.
LAST UPDATED: MAY 7TH, 2019
WHAT WE COLLECT
We get information about you in a range of ways.
Information You Give Us. We collect the content and other information you provide when you use our Services, including when you sign up for an account. This can include information in or about the content you provide. This includes, for example, your name, postal address, email address, phone number, fax number, username, password, demographic information (such as your gender and occupation), as well as any information you submit in or with any file or submit to the Service (a “Submitted Document”) as well as other information you directly give us on our Service.
Information We Get From Others. We may get information about you from other sources. We may add this to information we get from this Service.
Information about Schools and Educators. If you are an teacher, professor, educator or other school official (each an “Educator”), when you register with our Service or correspond with us online, we may ask for certain information about you or your school, including but not limited to your name, school name, school email address, phone number, postal address, any of the information listed above as “Information You Give Us,” and the content of any message you send us. We may retain this information.
Student Data. We may have or gain access to personally identifiable information about students (“Student Data”) in the course of providing our services to Educators. Student Data does not include information provided directly to us by a user who is a student. We consider Student Data to be confidential and do not use it for any purpose other than to provide the services on the Educator’s behalf. If you are a student or parent, please contact your Educators if you have questions about their use of technology service providers.
Information Automatically Collected. We also collect information about how you use our Services, such as the frequency and duration of your activities. We automatically log information about you and the computers, phones, or other devices where you install or access our Service, depending on the permissions you’ve granted. For example, when visiting our Service, we may log your computer operating system type, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery or signal strength, your device’s unique device identifier, browser type, browser language, the website you visited before browsing to our Service, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our Service. We may also collect connection information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, browser type, language and time zone, mobile phone number and IP address. We may associate the information we collect from your different devices, which helps us provide consistent Services across your devices.
Financial Information. If you use our Service for purchases or financial transactions, we collect information about the purchase or transaction. This includes your payment information, such as your credit or debit card number and other card information, and other account and authentication information, as well as billing, shipping and contact details.
Cookies. We may log information using "cookies." Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive by a website. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Service. This type of information is collected to make the Service more useful to you and to tailor the experience with us to meet your special interests and needs.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We care about creating the best possible education tools for our customers. We use all of the information we have to help us provide and support our Services. Here’s how:
• We use your personal information to operate, maintain, and improve our sites, products, and services.
• We use your personal information to respond to comments and questions and provide customer service.
• We use your personal information to conduct surveys and research, test features in development, and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new products or features, and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities.
• We use your personal information to send information including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
• We use your personal information to communicate about promotions, upcoming events, and other news about products and services offered by us and our selected partners.
• We use your personal information to link or combine user information with other personal information.
• We use your personal information to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
• We use your personal information to understand how you use and interact with our Services and the people or things you’re connected to and interested in on and off our Services in order to deliver our Services, personalize content, and make suggestions for you
• We use your personal information to provide and deliver products and services customers request.
• We use your personal information contained in any Submitted Document to process the document through the Service.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share personal information as follows:
• We may share personal information with your consent. For example, you may let us share personal information with others for their own marketing uses. Those uses will be subject to their privacy policies.
• We may share personal information when we do a business deal, or negotiate a business deal, involving the sale or transfer of all or a part of our business or assets. These deals can include any merger, financing, acquisition, or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding.
• We may share personal information for legal, protection, and safety purpose, for example, to comply with laws, respond to lawful requests and legal processes, protect the rights and property of Essay Assay, Inc., our agents, customers, and others (this includes enforcing our agreements, policies, and terms of service). We may share information in an emergency. This includes protecting the safety of our employees and agents, our customers, or any person.
• We may share information with those who need it to do work for us.
We may also share aggregated and/or anonymized data with third parties for their own uses.
STORAGE AND PROTECTION OF YOUR INFORMATION
Any information collected through the Service is stored and processed in the United States. If you use our Service outside of the United States, you consent to have your data transferred to the United States.
We maintain strict administrative, technical and physical procedures to protect information stored in our servers, which are located in the United States. Access to information is limited (through user/password credentials, firewalls and two factor authentication) to those employees who require it to perform their job functions. All communication between our servers is encrypted using industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. We use SSL encryption to safeguard the account registration process and sign-up information. Other security safeguards include but are not limited to data encryption, password hashing, firewalls, and physical access controls to building and files.
Following termination or deactivation of a user’s account, we may retain information and content for a commercially reasonably time for backup, archival, or audit purposes. Any Student Data associated with the account will be deleted promptly. We may maintain anonymized or aggregated data, including usage data, for analytics purposes.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Our marketing emails tell you how to “opt-out.” If you opt out, we may still send you non-marketing emails. Non-marketing emails include emails about your accounts and our business dealings with you.
You may send requests about personal information to our Contact Information below. You can request to change contact choices, opt-out of our sharing with others, and update your personal information.
You can typically remove and reject cookies from our Service with your browser settings. Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings. If you remove or reject our cookies, it could affect how our Service works for you.
We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13. Please contact us at email@example.com if you believe we have collected personal information of a child under 13 so that we may delete such data as soon as possible.
If we make any material changes or changes affecting our handling of Student Data, we will notify you using the contact information associated with your account. Such changes will take effect 30 days after the notification, and your continued use of the Service following that period constitutes your acceptance of the revised policy. It is your responsibility to ensure the accuracy of the contact information associated with your account.
Who We Are: For the purpose of applicable data protection legislation, we are the data controller of your personal data.
Important Sections: please pay attention to sections “Your Rights” and “International Data Transfer”
Changes To This Policy: We will notify you of any modifications or changes to the Policy on the Website. We may change or modify the Policy at any time, so we recommend you to review the Policy from time to time. When we make any modifications or change to the Policy, we will notify you prior to the moment the modifications and changes enter into force.
PURPOSES OF PROCESSING
Why do we need your personal data? We will only process your personal data in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws. We need certain personal data in order to provide you with access to Website and provide the Services.
PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
We seek to use and maintain reasonable physical, organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal data within the Company. Unfortunately, no transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be completely secure, and transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We update and test our security technology on an ongoing basis as described in our internal security policies. We restrict access to your personal data to those employees who need to know that information to provide benefits or services to you. In addition, we train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information and we have all the necessary legal documents with the employees to guarantee the protection of your personal data.
If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us.
We will only retain your personal data as long reasonably required for you to use the Website unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (for example for regulatory purposes). Your personal data is stored by the Company on its servers, and on the servers of the cloud-based database management services the Company engages, located in the United States. For more information on where and how long your personal data is stored, and for more information on your rights of erasure and portability, please contact us.
• Opt-out. You may contact us anytime to opt-out of: (i) direct marketing communications; (ii) automated decision-making and/or profiling; (iii) our collection of sensitive personal data; (iv) any new processing of your personal data that we may carry out beyond the original purpose; or (v) the transfer of your personal data outside the EEA. Please note that your use of the Website may be ineffective upon opt-out.
• Access. You may access the information we hold about you at any time by contacting us directly.
• Amend. You can also contact us to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal data.
• Move. Your personal data is portable – i.e. you to have the flexibility to move your data to other service providers as you wish.
• Erase and forget. In certain situations, for example when the information we hold about you is no longer relevant or is incorrect, you can request that we erase your data.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us. In your request, please make clear: (i) what personal data is concerned; and (ii) which of the above rights you would like to enforce. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal data associated with the particular identification that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event, within one month of your request. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion.
We are committed to resolve any complaints about our collection or use of your personal data. If you would like to make a complaint regarding this Policy or our practices in relation to your personal data, please contact us. We will reply to your complaint as soon as we can and in any event, within 30 days. We hope to resolve any complaint brought to our attention, however if you feel that your complaint has not been adequately resolved, you reserve the right to contact your local data protection supervisory authority.